We’re hiring: Full stack developer
Gravitywell is an award-winning Bristol-based digital agency enjoying increasing success, and having recently won several high-profile clients we’re continuing to expand: our team, our client list, and our expertise.
We get to pick the projects and clients that inspire us (both big brands and start-ups), and aim to consistently create high-quality bespoke products and applications that transform our clients’ visions, expectations and businesses. We challenge ourselves to be on the cutting edge, and achieve this through a liberal amount of R&D time and our innate passion and experience.
Putting time aside as a company to work on our own projects is important too, and we close our doors at least once a year for week-long hackathons. For us, the biggest challenges are the most exciting. We think big, we have fun, we work hard and we see it through. This year we’ve got a number of PR stunts planned that will be ridiculously fun to work on as a team.
Based in a converted BS1 warehouse at the top of Christmas Steps, the studio is in the very heart of Bristol and all it has to offer. The vibe is somewhere between a tech start-up and a more traditional digital agency. This is an exciting time for us and if you love what you do and do it well, then join us, grow with us, and be a part of our success.
We are looking for:
We are looking for an ambitious, talented and enthusiastic Full Stack developer to become an integral part of the team.
You should be at home in a Linux shell environment, and be able to set servers up appropriately - both remotely and locally. You should have a good understanding of scalability, redundancy and availability, and how to appropriately use cloud storage and network resources. Experience of AWS would be advantageous, especially EC2, S3, OpsWorks, RDS and R53.
You’ll know all about cross-browser/device testing (and equally the situations where it’s not important at all), and should be able to help put a test spec together for external QA.
It’s vital that you’re keen to explore new technology and how it may contribute to some of our projects, both clients’ and internal. We’re constantly learning and evolving ourselves and our work, and if you’re not enthusiastic you’ll get left behind fast.
Working alongside the directors and the design/development team, the role is an excellent opportunity for someone with several years already under their belt to gain a lot of experience fast, and across a wide range of clients and projects. We’ve got a number of really exciting projects in the studio right now and for someone prepared to pour energy into their work, the role will be hugely rewarding.
We’re more than happy for you to learn on the job - enjoying our work is crucial to us. Everyone here has an R&D day at least once a fortnight to learn or work on a new idea (take a look at our blog to see the kind of things we get up to). We all work together which means mucking in with some smaller duties to help keep the studio running and our Sonos playlist going!
While there is obviously a set of minimum requirements for this role, we’d really love to hear what else you’ve been doing and are interested in. Between us all there’s quite a mix of ‘extra’ skills, including photography, VR, drones, game development, fine art illustration, manufacturing and hardware, and embedded devices to name but a few.
- Competently handling the development process, both solo and as a part of a team
- Working with designers on UI/UX for web and mobile apps
- Quickly turning conceptual designs/layouts into wireframes and front-/back-end prototypes
- Producing specs and staying on top of project documentation
- Deploying and maintaining live sites and apps
- Training and generally supporting clients where necessary
- Developing your own skills and knowledge to meet project needs
- Joining in with support for existing projects
- Knowledge of:
- Linux and Apache
- MySQL, NoSQL
- CMS Development (particularly Drupal)
- Version control - git
- Accessibility and development-related SEO considerations
- Plenty of experience working with APIs
- At least a basic understanding of common Adobe CC apps
- A keen attention to detail and the ability to plan!
- The ability to switch focus to respond to project demands during busy times
- The ability to produce high quality work within a project management framework and to strict deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be able to manage and organise your own workload
- You can work well within a team, contributing and collaborating to our projects and ideas, but still think independently
- Know when something has to be done, and what must be cut if time is short
Nice-to-haves (or we could help you learn):
- Drupal setup, theming and module development
- Meteor.js experience
- Project/account management experience - and software such as Trello, Zendesk, Jira etc
- Test driven development
- Front-end design skills
What do you get?
- A competitive salary
- Generous annual leave and Christmas shutdown
- R&D time at least a day a fortnight learning or creating whatever you want - on your own or with others
- Your choice of Mac/PC hardware
- ...amongst other perks.
- An awesome job in a cool studio with a great bunch of skilled, intelligent people!
How to apply
Send your CV and an example of some of your best work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Show us why you’re the right person for this role and why you want to work with us. Please do include links to online material where possible.