Hackathon day 1 - Soul Researching
Over the weekend we eased ourselves into project work. Saturday night was spent pitching ideas, discussing and adding to them. Last night (after a 12km walk on the gorgeous coastal path) we went deeper into one of several strong ideas and informally brainstormed it. We wrote up a list of features for MVP and a list of "Nice to haves" on the whiteboard.
We agreed that we didn't like hearing the word "scrape" regularly and so we're trying to call it "Hoovering" instead. Simon kept saying the word "fuzzy".
Now things were getting real and we started to have a product forming. It's consumer-focussed app which aggregates existing product data and presents it in a fun way. We're still working on the definition but we might be able to share it in the next few days.
This morning we had to setup the studio and all the cabling. This involved rearranging the house furniture so we could all work in the same room.
A technical standup was called in the kitchen to come up with a plan for topics like server architecture. Because our product has a lot of technical detail to resolve there is an element of paralysis as we try to decide where to start. We got over it but the standup turned into a 3 hour meeting which was exhausting, albeit highly productive.
In the afternoon we moved onto research. It's clear that there is a balance to be struck between researching the ideal solution for a problem against the need to just get on and build something. We have limited time this week and we don't want to waste any of it building something that will be hard to fix later.
Stee started working on some iOS app prototypes. We're planning some satisfying interactions and we need to custom build them.
We've also ploughed into server architecture, API documentation, end point documentation and DB schema.
We know we need to authenticate requests but we're willing to sacrifice a bit of security at this stage in return for simplicity and better performance. Meanwhile we've sketched some wireframes and then refined them into digital versions which the whole team can refer to.
Now the product is a bit less vague we are able to work on the name and brand. Matt shortlisted some names and we've all voted on the winner. Ladies and gentlemen, we bring unto the world: "Garm"!
It's been a very prodcutive day and it's even more satisfying now we're clear on what needs to be done.
Take more breaks
Need to find a technique for getting the tech decisions moving quickly at the start.
Sometimes "quick" is more appropriate than "best".
Don't run out of booze.
The finished app
Other hackathon days